N*Raged Forums

Idiot drivers... in the snow!

So since about mid December, we've had a few cases of snow covering the ground. Been a long time coming too because I've noticed a trend where we'll have a super harsh winter and then a few winters that aren't quite as bad, although it's been odd during the past few years with little to no snow falling.

So we've been due for some heavy snow and it finally came, sort of. Not as bad as I've been expecting, but at least it was something. None the less, it was enough to teach some idiots a lesson about driving in the white crap. While out driving on the first night after/during one of the downfalls, I was hitting speeds of up to 30 MPH on a seemingly clear road.. I couldn't believe how many people were catching up and passing by me as though the stuff on the ground was nothing but a light sprinkle of rain. Funny though when you see them skid a little for 'no reason' or, as had happened to one driver, they had come to a 'stop' at a street light along the interstate. Unfortunately I didn't see it happen, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a planned stop nor one that they were in control of.

One day during the second or third downfalls, the news reported that there had been well over 200 accidents reported just in this area alone, all due to the weather. Yeah, right. More like, almost all of them due to irresponsible driving. I say "almost all" because there are always going to be some drivers who try to drive safely but despite their efforts, they end up in an accident anyway. I don't believe it's fair to include them as being idiot drivers if they have a valid reason to be out in the stuff and try to drive safely.

The good thing about idiot drivers being out in the snow is that they get into accidents (hopefully and preferably without any injuries or loss of life involved). When they get into accidents, then they are removed from the driving population, at least temporarily. HOPEFULLY they realize just how stupid they are and when they are behind the wheel again, they drive more cautiously. Alas, you know that many of them will be so arrogant that they can't learn their lesson and they are bound to repeat their ignorant acts. My only hope is that the repeat it and get into another accident quickly, so that their insurance rates skyrocket and after a second accident, people are bound to hound them like, "Geez, are you sure you know how to drive?" Enough of that and some of these idiots are bound to start questioning their TRUE driving ability and actually realize that.. OMG.. They really DON'T know everything about driving!

Mind you, there have been several incidents of idiots on the road while I've been out, driving safely, but don't feel like trying to describe each individual incident. Just know that when it snows, I always see idiots driving like if the snow is nothing more than looks. Watching people driving around at over 45MPH in a 45MPH zone (45MPH zone during NORMAL driving conditions!) always makes me wish I had a video camera recording them just in case they 'crash and burn' as I call it.

indeed .. some ppl just can't drive in harsh weather conditions ... I've lived arcoss this great country of ours and I've noticed no matter where you go .. be it in a state that has normal yearly snowfall ... or a state that isn't even equipped to handle it...you always find drivers that just can't handle their vehicles properly. I always find it funny when these idiots pass me..as I know I'll prolly see them in a ditch somewhere shortly up the road hehehe. I personally believe the DMV really need to redesign their testing methods to include such things as hazardous weather travel (since I used to be an OTR driver) and how to be on the road with tractor/trailers. I can't count how many accidents I've seen due to a driver cutting off a tractor trailer then slamming on their brakes for various reasons..or following a trailer too closely and have a blown tire go through their windshield ... just amazes me that alot of these drivers think that these trucks can stop on a dime...I even had a lady once tell me.."well you have 18 wheels..I only have 4..you should be to stop 4 times faster than I can" WRONG!!!!! I quickly responded "lady..your car maybe weighs 2 tons .. my rig weighs up to 80 tons ... that averages 4.5 tons per wheel to a half ton per wheel for your car .. so I think you need to rethink your concept on weight vs stopping distance" ... this woman was in shock..she hadn't a clue..as I believe most drivers dont...these are important issues and all ( hazard conditions and breaking distances vs weight) should be added to the DMV testing methods.

Whenever I'm driving near/next to a big truck of any kind, I tend to be more aware and cautious. There have been a few times when one got somewhat close to me (me in front of them) and it's made me rather nervous, because I'm thinking, "Oh crap if I have to stop for any reason, then I'm so screwed!"

I don't care how much weight it comes out to per wheel (as if that matters when stopping), I just know that the more weight, the more power needed to stop it. Anyone who's seen "The Dark Knight" can see a realistic portrayal of trying to bring a big rig to a sudden stop. I'm not sure about that woman, but for me, I'd rather not be anywhere NEAR a truck with something bad about to happen.

Whenever I'm driving near/next to a big truck of any kind, I tend to be more aware and cautious. There have been a few times when one got somewhat close to me (me in front of them) and it's made me rather nervous, because I'm thinking, "Oh crap if I have to stop for any reason, then I'm so screwed!"

I don't care how much weight it comes out to per wheel (as if that matters when stopping), I just know that the more weight, the more power needed to stop it. Anyone who's seen "The Dark Knight" can see a realistic portrayal of trying to bring a big rig to a sudden stop. I'm not sure about that woman, but for me, I'd rather not be anywhere NEAR a truck with something bad about to happen.

you would be amazed on how many ppl I see zoom in front of a rig ( in high traffic scenarios ) only to lock up their breaks right after cutting them off.

IMO you have to be a real idiot to think your safe under those conditions.

I have to add an incident that happened last year since big rigs have been brought into the mix. I'm a northerner but was living in the south. I was doing my yearly exodus to the North for Christmas and happily driving through the mountains in Tennessee. I had an SUV full of pets, kids, and luggage. My husband was deployed so I was on my own. Weather wasn't horrible but there were icy patches here and there so I was not driving insane. About 5 over the speed limit I guess and using cruise control going up. The semi got on my rear about halfway up a mountain and all I could see was grill in the back! I'm going UP the mountain.. he wasn't losing his brakes or anything. He just kept trying to push me and if it had just been me in the truck, I may have slowed down on his sorry rear. Regardless, there's a rest area at the top and I chose that time to take a break, calm down, call his company off the back of the truck.... I wasn't going to risk everybody out there and definitely NOT my family!

I do agree that everybody needs to be mindful of the limitations of all vehicles out there - especially big rigs but that goes both ways. 99% of all truckers have been courteous and helpful. Many times they have seen what I have in my vehicle driving across the country and have helped in many ways. That same drive, Indiana was in an ice storm (not the best time to drive in hindsite) and I had to pull off to the side. Two trucks sandwiched me in since they were much easier to see. I had been driving with them a couple of states at that point. I grew up in the snow and ice. My vehicles have spent more than their fair share in ditches (snow is usually a soft landing!). I have learned when it's time to just give up and stay home. Or at least take a break. These recent snow storms are getting people who have never seen it. They think it's just an inconvenience to get off their cars before they take on the road. Silly.

• 1 month later...

In South Texas we seldom get snow but when we do the highways become full of idiots. As soon as the snow sticks those who live here from up North say to themselves, "this little snow is nothing" and out the door they go. Never mind that they have forgotten they no longer have snow tires or chains on their car and our roads are not salted over. These drivers are joined by the brave drivers who've lived here forever and don't know what to do once their car starts to skid on the road. Normal Texas driving styles are still observed, no yielding, pedal to the medal, and cutting off anyone who dares to get in your way of a lane change. And,so.... the pile ups begin.

If there is ice on the road --- same exact story!

I just wish they would all stay home on cold weather hazard road days and let me have my peace!

Normal Texas driving styles are still observed, no yielding, pedal to the medal, and cutting off anyone who dares to get in your way of a lane change. And,so.... the pile ups begin.

Would be fun to set up cameras in safe places, recording all the events, then post them up on youtube.. Then when those idiots see the accidents they cause, watch them try to explain how it wasn't their fault for not being a safer driver.