N*Raged Forums

Stupid Company Call Things.

--> *answers phone*

--> "Who's calling please?"

--> "Who are you?"

--> "Well then you won't get to speak to (who they asked for)."

--> *hangs up*

After growing up with phone spam, I've learned how to handle them. They call, I act a bit like a secretary. If they're calling for legit reasons, ie a call that is expected/wanted, then they'll answer the question(s) and the call will continue. Otherwise, they get stopped right up front. If it's someone that is expected, then it's their own fault for not answering who they are.

If they do answer who they are, the next question is, "What is this in regards to?". If they answer with anything along the lines of an offer, survey, etc, then they're stopped right there. Also 90% of the time, being told that they're not selling anything is just a lie. If it's an expected call, they'll announce what it's about and it'll be something that is already in progress. House work, planned event, order status, etc.

Have fun with those that say that they aren't selling anything. The most fun is when they say that and then right away talk about how for a certain amount of money, blah blah blah. That's when you stop them and be like, "You said you aren't selling anything, and then you start off with trying to sell me (insert product/service here). You just basically lied to me, so you just lost a sale. Good bye."

Way I see it, true that they wouldn't have gotten a sale anyways, but if I would have been someone who would have made a purchase, I'm certainly not going to buy from someone who lies to make the sale.

Seriously, the best way to control them is to do just that.. Control them.

Ask who it is. If they refuse to answer who they are, then they are actually refusing to talk to anyone, and you can tell them that they are not to call back if they aren't willing to identify themselves. If they call back anyway, tell them that you're going to call the cops if they don't take the hint. I've never had to take it to that point, but that's because it always stops at the first level of control.

Way I see it, they are inviting themselves into your home. If someone knocked on your front door, and then tried to shove their way in when you opened it, would you let them? No, you'd block them and tell them to leave. The phone is no different. Once you answer, they are a guest and need to show the proper manners to you. They refuse to tell who they are? Ok bye! *click* If they want to talk to a certain person badly enough, then they'll answer the questions and then pray that they get through. If they try to bully you by saying it's none of your business or by trying to avoid the question like you don't have a right to know, just remember.. You can hang up on them. You're not working for a business, they are. You can hang up on them and who cares what they think of you for it?

Of course, being in the U.S., I'm signed up on that "Do Not Call" list, and my gosh the calls have actually come to a near dead stop. It's wonderful. Those few calls that do come in though are either dealing with non profit organizations, or a business that has a legit reason to be calling. Once in awhile there's the rare solicitor, but they get shooed off rather quick.

Anyways, simple thing to remember - they are a guest. They either kiss up to you or they talk to Mr. Dial Tone. So don't feel nervous about asking who it is. If they have a problem with it, then that's their problem, not yours.

Way I see it, they are inviting themselves into your home. If someone knocked on your front door, and then tried to shove their way in when you opened it, would you let them? No, you'd block them and tell them to leave.

I'd cry and get a chainsaw. B)