N*Raged Forums

School!

Kat

Kids started school last week here and it seems every day they come home with another list of school supplies that we need to go out and buy! It is unreal. For this being a public school system that is funded by the government, seem to be paying for quite a few things. And if I didn't outright pay for everything she needs, I had to sign a hundred forms saying I'd pay for it if anything happened to it! Which I suppose, I'll end up paying for something as kids do break things on occasion.

To just top it off, another set of notes asking for help with less fortunate kids. Oh come on! I have to pay full price for her lunches plus some, to offset what it costs for their free lunches. She can't go in early for the breakfast program. That's ok with her because she doesn't want up early but I'd like the option. Nobody EVER asked us if we'd like anything for free or a reduced fee. Now they want the upc codes on all the major purchases so they can get kickbacks from the companies but sorry - I'm sending them in for rebates!

Kids started school last week here and it seems every day they come home with another list of school supplies that we need to go out and buy! It is unreal. For this being a public school system that is funded by the government, seem to be paying for quite a few things. And if I didn't outright pay for everything she needs, I had to sign a hundred forms saying I'd pay for it if anything happened to it! Which I suppose, I'll end up paying for something as kids do break things on occasion.

To just top it off, another set of notes asking for help with less fortunate kids. Oh come on! I have to pay full price for her lunches plus some, to offset what it costs for their free lunches. She can't go in early for the breakfast program. That's ok with her because she doesn't want up early but I'd like the option. Nobody EVER asked us if we'd like anything for free or a reduced fee. Now they want the upc codes on all the major purchases so they can get kickbacks from the companies but sorry - I'm sending them in for rebates!

You heartless woman you.. Not giving them the UPC codes so they can milk even more money out of you. For shame. :)

• 7 months later...

I'm as disgusted as you are on the way the public schools drain my bank account. After the school supplies comes the begging /fund raising. Yearbooks sold for twice their value, school spirit t-shirts that the kids are encouraged to always wear on Friday, Fundraiser selling cookie dough, carnival and all the tickets needed to play, holiday party for the classroom can you send 5.00, teacher appreciation week another 5.00 please , student council is having a fund raiser to send money to someone needy, art class is selling my kids art on coffee cups. At least once a month they want something more from me than the supplies and lunch money. Multiply that by three kids and it takes a part time job just to keep up with it all! I can not believe they asked you to send in the UPC codes so they could get the rebates! Have they not heard of the Boxtops for Education program run by General Mills? Collect those boxtops off the products (there are hundreds of products with them) and send them to General Mills who then sends you a dime for every single one of them. I can't send that boxtop to General Mills and get anything for it but the school can. I think I'd keep my UPC rebates and tell the school about this totally legal program with boxtops!